Thursday, February 20, 2014

Quick Follow-Up on the February Slow Session

Hi, Folks,

Thanks so much to those who came out to play tunes, and to those who sent me emails or texts - we missed you! It was a lovely night...the picture below was from our trip to Kerry a few years ago. Last night reminded me of a fun night we had in a pub in Cahirciveen, where the local musicians are friendly and quite accomplished. Thank you for the tunes and chat!
A picture of the hills in Co. Kerry, Ireland

We played through all of our tunes, with some discussion about versions and some explanations from me. Transcribing a tune using your strongest instrument is recommended - I modified the ABC of a version of The Milliner's Daughter from thesession.org and missed a few critical notes because I was using whistle instead of fiddle to check the melody. I don't  yet know how to properly play f# and f nat on whistle. Yeah! That actually makes a difference! (Um, and David - I was consistent - I left the wrong note in twice just to be sure! ;-)

So...we played that tune in a set that Samantha heard on a recording: Flax in Bloom / Milliner's Daughter / The Old Bush. We also stuck A Peek Behind the Curtain AFTER Taims in Arrears. We played Alexander's Hornpipe (yeah, yeah, both versions I posted are the SAME. I know... ) followed by The Friendly Visit. And finally, we played the lovely jig Humours of Lisheen. I can't remember if we put it with anything.

Corrected versions of things will be up shortly! And we're working on a list of tunes for next month, which will also be posted soon.

Enjoy every day, no matter what it brings! See you soon,

Hilary


No comments :

Post a Comment