Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Irish Slow Session January 25

New Year, New Tunes?



Hey, gang! Hope you had wonderful holidays and that you're looking forward to our first slow session of the new year tomorrow, Wednesday, January 25, 2017.

In thinking about what you might like to do at the session or get out of it, I asked John Conway what you'd worked on at the Comhaltas session this month. By way of explanation, he gave me the spots for The Foxhunter's Slip Jig from the Comhaltas Slow Session, which we will play tomorrow. I also appreciate that Paul Derby brought the jig Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part in November. We'll play that tomorrow too. In addition, I'll have a tune for us to work on by ear, and we'll go around the circle, so bring a tune or two that you'd like to start.

For the new year, I want to encourage everyone to bring a device that you can record on, whether it is a tape recorder, a mini-disc recorder, a phone, a tablet, a computer. I don't care. I want you to be recording tunes that you don't know and listening back to them to try and get them in your head without the sheet music. My expectation is that as we go through the season, you'll be starting to play more tunes by ear and from memory rather than from the page.

As to tomorrow night, I believe that the contra dance group will be at the building for their regular date tomorrow evening, so we will be downstairs in the office area starting at 7:30. I'm looking forward to seeing you all.

See you Wednesday!

Hilary

No comments :

Post a Comment